God of the sky, lightning, thunder, law, order, justice
Kurumada had planned to make Zeus appear in the fourth act of his manga, but he was forced to put the manga in hiatus in 1991 after the Hades arc due to a decrease in popularity, delaying the publishing of the Heaven Chapter until the time was ripe. A new chance to publish it came in 2004 when Kurumada decided to publish the Heaven Chapter in anime format instead of a manga written and drawn by him, and it was given a start with the Saint Seiya Tenkaihen Josou Overture movie.
Zeus was expected to make an appearance in the sequels to the Saint Seiya Tenkaihen Josou Overture movie, but due to conflicts that led to the cancellation of the project, his participation remains unfulfilled.
Masami Kurumada has spoken about Zeus in interviews about his future plans, but he hasn't revealed much since the Heaven Chapter of his manga is still in development by him. Although Zeus has never made an appearance physically in Kurumada's manga, he has been mentioned or referred to in several occasions.
In Kurumada's mythos, Zeus has been described as the Sovereign of Heavens, and father of Athena. Since he is one of the 12 Olympian Gods, he is expected to play an antagonic role in the eventual Heaven Chapter of Kurumada's manga, and because of his relation to Athena, it is assumed he will have a double role in the plot, presented first as antagonist and then become an ally.
Appearances in the Saint Seiya universeEdit
Masami Kurumada's early conceptual sketch for Zeus, the Sovereign of the Heavens.Zeus has had a limited participation in the Saint Seiya universe to date, which is virtually reduced to referrals by name, both in the manga and the anime adaptation. He is first mentioned in vol.1 of Kurumada's manga, as the father of Athena, who sprung out of Zeus' head in full battle armor, in the same way as she did in Greek mythology. He is mentioned again by Gold Saint Gemini Saga in further volumes of the manga, who schemed to seize Athena's Niké Staff to overthrow Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon to take over their realms and conquer Earth, becoming the supreme ruler of all realms. Zeus is then mentioned by the god of sleep Hypnos in vol.28 of the manga, who refers to him as the ruler of the Olympian Gods.
Zeus is last mentioned in the short introductory manga for the Tenkaihen Josou Overture movie, authored by Masami Kurumada. In it, Eagle Marin's brother, Icaros Touma, receives an order to descend to Earth to kill Athena's Saints as divine retribution. Touma asks then who has issued such order, wondering if it has come from Zeus, the Sovereign of Heavens himself.
Kurumada also revealed an early concept sketch for Zeus he drew, and that was published in the Saint Seiya Encyclopedia. This sketch, included in this article, is the only existing sample of the possible appearance that Kurumada will give to Zeus if he appears officially.
Saint Seiya - Legend of Sanctuary Edit
Additional known factsEdit
- It's a common misconception among fans that Athena's foster grandfather Mitsumasa Kido and Zeus are one and the same in the Saint Seiya universe, due to certain traits both characters share, such as both being a father figure to Athena, and their numerous children.
- Kurumada put his manga Saint Seiya in hiatus after the Hades arc in 1991, and so it remains to this day. He plans to resume it with the publishing of the Heaven Chapter in the near future. Although he is continuing the manga in Saint Seiya Next Dimension, as both prequel and sequel, it is unknown if he will do so as originally planned.
- As Kurumada stated in early interviews, the Heaven Chapter will serve as a bridge to the final chapter of the manga, the chapter of Cronus and Rhea.
- Saint Seiya manga, vols. 1, 11, 28, by Masami Kurumada.
- Saint Seiya Tenkaihen Josou Overture manga appendix, by Masami Kurumada.
- Saint Seiya Encyclopedia.
|Saint Seiya||Athena • Nike|
|Saint Seiya||Poseidon • Hades • Hypnos • Thanatos|
|Animes & movies only||Eris • Odin • Abel/Apollo • Lucifer • Artemis|
|Saint Seiya: Next Dimension||Zeus|
|Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas||Modeler Morpheus • Portrayer Phantasos • Vision Icelus • Dream Oneiros|
|Saint Seiya Episode G||Chronos • Pontos • Gaia|
|Saint Seiya Omega||Mars • Abzu • Pallas (Omega) • Saturn|