Portrayer Phantasos (化像者・パンタソス Keshōsha Pantasosu ) is the god who can wield unreality.
He usually appears using a feminine disguise, and in "the myths" wielded the power of creating unreal and ominous dreams. He is cut in half by Capricorn El Cid, becoming the first of the dream gods to fall before their fusion with Dream Oneiros. Interestingly, upon El Cid's attack, Phantasos' "face" came off, and his real, more masculine (yet somewhat effeminate) appearance was promptly revealed.
Phantasos is sent with his three brothers in search of Pegasus Tenma, in order to imprison his body and soul in the World of Dreams and prevent his continued involvement in the Holy Wars between Hades and Athena throughout history. Phantasos, Oneiros and Icelus intercept Capricorn El Cid as the gold saint seeks an entry to the World of Dreams to rescue the soul of his friend and fellow saint Sagittarius Sisyphos. Phantasos confronts El Cid, praising his beauty, and when his arm is severed by the Excalibur that was redirected by Icelus, the God of the Surreal decided to keep it as a souvenir, much to his brothers' disgust. Phantasos then went to capture Tenma with Modeler Morpheus, and trapped the souls of Unicorn Yato and Crane Yuzuriha along the way, leaving their bodies in the real world.
El Cid survives the first encounter with the gods, and the resonance of the Capricorn Cloth that covered his stolen arm was enough to guide him through dimensions. When El Cid enters the World of Dreams, he fights Phantasos with his enhanced Excalibur, ultimately breaking the illusion that kept him a female. As the god loses his cool and attacks the saint out of anger, El Cid ends the fight by cutting him in half. Later on, his soul would is mixed in Oneiros' body with those of Icelus and Morpheus in order to form a monstrous, extremely powerful creature. The fused Oneiros is destroyed by golden arrow shot by Sisyphus, which had been imbued by Athena's own cosmo and split in four by El Cid's Excalibur. One of the quarters of the cut arrow hit Phantasos directly, seemingly ending his life. The Capricorn dies of blood loss soon after.
In the anime the story is very similar to the manga, but with added details like the fact that its power to enclose the souls of the people in your wildest dreams Grim called Fantasia, and place in the World of Dreams governing, and where he keeps the souls that captures, is called Phantasia . In the anime Yato comes to confront and Yuzuriha, receiving technical Kenbu Shosenkyaku the latter, without being effective. After carrying
their souls to Phantasia, is attacked by El Cid, but this version gets Phantasos paralyze Grim El Cid with Fantasia, although the Gold Saint's dream, consisting of a perfect edge sword, attacks him, destroying his illusion. El Cid wakes up from sleep and attacks you personally, destroying it.
Main article: Phantasos Surplice As a god who serves in Hades' army, much like Hypnos and Thanatos, Phantasos wears a special surplice. This surplice is not counted among the main 108 that represent the "evil stars" (masei). It has no known special powers or weapons and its freezing point is unknown.
Skills and abilities Edit
- Intuition: Phantasos is a god, and therefore can manipulate the sixth sense.
- Miraculosity: Phantasos is a god, and therefore can manipulate the seventh sense.
- Arayashiki: Phantasos is a god, and therefore can manipulate the eighth sense.
- Godhood: Phantasos is a god, and therefore can manipulate the ninth sense.
- Immortality: Like most gods, Phantasos has not aged significantly since the age of the myths.
- Interdimensional Traveling: Like many gods, Phantasos can freely pass through dimensions.
- Superhuman Strength: Like all cosmo users, Phantasos' physical strength surpasses that of average humans.
- Illusion: Much like Hypnos, Phantasos can cast "realistic illusions" (which are more powerful and dangerous than the usual). He uses that characteristic to disguise himself with a fully functional, yet unreal female body. Through his technique Grim Phantasia, he can cast souls into his realm, in which the wildest dreams become an illusory reality. Like Hypnos, he also possesses the power to manipulate the opponent's consciousness by making them asleep.
- Soul Manipulation: Phantasos has the rare ability to pull souls out of others' bodies. In order to do so, he uses his Grim Phantasia technique.
Secret techniques (ōgi) Edit
- Grim Phantasia (グリム・ファンタジア Gurimu Fantajia): Phantasos uses this technique to steal the souls of his victims. People affected by Grim Phantasia become unable to move or burn their cosmo, and Phantasos may at his discretion remove the souls of opponents from their bodies. He can then look into their deepest dreams and desires, trapping the target in his own realm within the World of Dreams, Phantasia. The technique backfires against Capricorn El Cid, whose sole desire in life was sharpening his arm to the point in which it could be worthy of Excalibur's reputation of Sacred Sword (聖剣, Seiken). El Cid uses his internal blade to cut out of imprisonment and through Phantasos' disguise.
- In Ovid's Metamorphoses, Phantasos is said to be the son of Somnus and one of the oneiroi (Ὄνειροι Dreams; "dream deities"). However, in Greek mythology, the oneiroi were, according to Hesiod, sons of Nyx (night) and brothers of Hypnos (sleep), Thanatos (death), Geras (old age) and other beings, all produced via parthenogenesis. Cicero follows this tradition, but describes the sons of Nyx as fathered by Erebus (darkness).
- The word Phantasos means "apparition" in Greek.
- Apparently, El Cid's last stand resulted in the destruction of the souls of Phantasos and his brothers, a way of Shiori Teshirogi to explain the fact they don't appear in the original series.
- Shiori Teshirogi made Phantasos as the personification of "unrealistic" dreams, the reason for which he uses an "unreal appearance" upon his debut.
|Saint Seiya||Athena • Nike|
|Saint Seiya||Poseidon • Hades • Hypnos • Thanatos|
|Animes & movies only||Eris • Odin • Abel/Apollo • Lucifer • Artemis • Loki|
|Saint Seiya: Next Dimension||Zeus|
|Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas||Modeler Morpheus • Portrayer Phantasos • Vision Icelus • Dream Oneiros • Tezcatlipoca • Hakuryu|
|Saint Seiya Episode G||Chronos • Pontos • Gaia|
|Saint Seiya Omega||Mars • Abzu • Pallas (Omega) • Saturn|