Gautama Buddha is a character mentioned briefly in Saint Seiya (Sanctuary Saga and Lost Canvas). His name means "the Awakened One" or "the Enlightened One".
In Saint Seiya, Virgo Shaka is said to be the latest reincarnation of Buddha.
Buddha is mentioned as one of the techniques (Tenkūhaja Chimimōryō), used by Virgo Shaka against the frightened specters. And as well as seen in Virgo Asmita as he refocuses his cosmos until Pegasus Tenma get to see behind him a huge Buddha figure that makes Pegasus Tenma think that Virgo Asmita is also a God.
- "Buddha" is also used as a title for the first awakened being in an era. In most Buddhist traditions, Siddhartha Gautama is regarded as the Supreme Buddha.
- The Virgo Temple or House of Virgo is the sixth Temple of the Sanctuary. Here is where the Virgo Gold Saint resides. As the Virgo Saint is said to be the reincarnation of Buddha, the interior of the Temple is decorated in a Buddhist/Hindu manner dedicated to him.
- According to the Tripitaka, The Twin Sala Garden of the Virgo Temple (双沙羅の園, Sōsara no Sono) is the said garden where Gautama Buddha was said to lie down and reach his Nirvana underneath the Sala trees.
- According to Kurumada, Shaka's name was derived from the ancient realm of the Shakya (pronounced in the anime as "Shaka"), and whose most famous member was Siddharta Gautama himself, also known as "Buddha", the founder of Buddhism, and as "Shakyamuni". The Virgo Saint Shaka has the same characteristics, abilities, and attacks are also based on the Buddha and Buddhist mythology.
- As mentioned, both Fudo Myo-o and Buddha are some of the deities of the Buddhist myth.